Have you heard of Singles' Day sales? Well, it’s November, which means Christmas is just on the horizon and retailers and brands will be offering deals galore for shoppers.
But alongside the well-known Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals at the end of the month, there’s also an event this week which promises to be the biggest shopping festival in the world in 2020 - Singles' Day and the Singles' Day sales.
Singles' Day sales: the best discounts and deals
So what deals are on offer? Whether you’re shopping for Christmas, or treating yourself this Singles' Day, we’ve put together a list of all the best promotions happening this year.
- Nike is launching a limited edition Women’s Air Jordan 6 Singles’ Day trainer to celebrate the strength of community in women’s basketball and women everywhere. It will be available on Wednesday from 11am.
- Look Fantastic has up to 20% off with code SINGLES for all your beauty needs.
- Monica Vinader has up to 50% off with flash sales across the site.
- There’s up to 90% off Aliexpress, which sells everything from fashion to tech to beauty.
- For designer clothing, LuisaViaRoma is offering 30% off full priced items.
- Converse has 20% off with the code SINGLES DAY.
- Giorgio Armani beauty has up to 50% off selected beauty.
- 24S.com, which sells brands including Loewe, Alexander McQueen and Burberry, has up to 30% off for Singles’ Day.
- Luxury retailer Net-a-Porter is offering 22% off for the event, as well as free shipping with code SINGLES22.
- Sex toy brand Lelo is offering up to 51% off with the code SD2020
- Make-up brand Tarte is offering $10 deals on select full sized items and if that wasn't enough, anyone who spends $65+ gets a free Sugar Rush too cute for the naughty list stocking. Use code: STEAL.
- Alo Yoga, an American sportswear brand, is launching a sale of up to 70% off all items online, with 20% off new products. All you need is promo code: SINGLESDAY20
- Uniqlo is offering up to 70% off everything on the day.
- At bareMinerals, you can get 20% off everything online as well as a free eye shadow on orders costing $75+ with promo code: SINGLES20.
- Farmacy is offering 25% off orders priced at $75+ with promo code: SINGLESDAY
- Get 20% off Lancôme products when you spend $75+, 25% off when you spend $100 and 30% when you spend $150+ with promo code: SINGLESDAY.
- Sex toy brand Love Honey is offering 10% off everything on their site with promo code: SINGLES.
- Sex toy brand Ella Paradis has up to 60% off their award-winning products.
- Similarly, Babeland is offering $20 off all purchases priced at $99+.
- Asos is hosting a 20% off sale on everything in honour of Singles' Day with the code: GETWITHASOS.
- e.l.f Cosmetics is offering members a generous 40% off sale whilst all other customers get 25% off online too.
- PrettyLittleThing is also hosting a 20% sale off all items on the site with the code: JUST4ME.
- Meanwhile MISSGUIDED has up to 60% off everything, plus you can enter 'HAPPYSINGLESDAY' at checkout for a chance to win £3000.
- Levi's has 22% off select products to mark the occasion.
What is Singles' Day?
For those who aren’t familiar with Singles' Day, or Double 11 as it’s also known, it began as an unofficial Chinese holiday to celebrate being single, with the date intended to symbolise solo living.
It was founded in the 1990s by university students as an anti-Valentine’s day celebration, but turned into a huge one-day shopping event in 2009 by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba.
While the event is similar to Prime Day or Black Friday, it’s a lot bigger. It consistently generates billions of dollars for Alibaba, with sales last year reaching a record $38 billion, according to CNBC. This compares to the $29 billion in online sales across the post-Thanksgiving weekend, according to Adobe Analytics.
Last year, Taylor Swift headlined at the Singles’ Day concert in Shanghai. Brands who took part included ASOS, Estée Lauder, Nike, Adidas, Urban Outfitters and Kim Kardashian’s beauty line.
While it’s still a relatively new shopping event in the US, it’s becoming more global this year, says Forbes, with around 250,000 brands and 5 million merchants expected to take part.
With it falling in the same month as Black Friday and Cyber Monday, that means plenty of deals and discounts for shoppers in November.
When is Singles’ Day?
The official date for Singles' Day this year is Wednesday 11 November (11/11). But, much like Black Friday deals, some sales won’t just be for the day but for an extended period of time. Chinese retailer JD.com for example has already begun sales, with promotions starting on 21 October and ending on 13 November.
Beth Gault is a freelance journalist and editor. She is the former news editor at fashion magazine Drapers and has written for multiple titles across lifestyle and business media, including GoodtoKnow and Woman’s Own. She loves chatting about ending period poverty, is a self-confessed coffee snob, and is never one to turn down a good book.
I am blush *obsessed* and this easy multi-use pick always gets me compliments
As a self-proclaimed blush connoisseur, I swear by ILIA's cheek and lip stick and hopefully, when my work is done, you will too.
By Naomi Jamieson Published
Emma Chamberlain just debuted the ultimate sexy chic updo—and the wispy look is perfect for fall
If you've been looking for a new, signature hair look for fall, Emma Chamberlain may have just come *through* for you...
By Naomi Jamieson Published