We know what's up with the Barbie movie, but is Oppenheimer streaming anywhere yet?
Alongside the comedy about the iconic fashion doll, Christopher Nolan's 2023 historical thriller—which chronicles the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer (played by Cillian Murphy), a.k.a. the "father of the atomic bomb," the American theoretical physicist famous for developing the world's first nuclear weapons—is one of the biggest movies of the year. (As of press time, it's creeping up to match that billion-dollar Barbie box office haul, with $854 million grossed worldwide.)
The bio drama has already gifted us great Barbie vs Oppenheimer memes and even inspired dating trends like the "Barbenheimer" effect, but we know it's just getting started. We're fully prepared to experience all of the signature Nolanesque chills and thrills, but when will Oppenheimer be available to stream at home? Here's everything we know.
Is 'Oppenheimer' streaming? How to watch the Christopher Nolan flick
No, as of press time, Oppenheimer is not yet available to watch on a streaming platform. The film, which was released by Universal Pictures in both the United States and the United Kingdom on Friday, July 21, is currently only available to enjoy at the movie theater.
However, when it does get released on streaming, Peacock will be its digital home, thanks to a deal between the streamer and Universal. That means you will need a Peacock subscription to watch Oppenheimer from the comfort of your own couch: current plans include the commercial-supported Premium option for $5.99 per month or the ad-free Premium Plus plan for $11.99 per month.
As for timing, given the high-profile nature of the film and Nolan's past successes at the theatrical box office, the studio has reportedly decided to honor the filmmaker's request for a lengthier theatrical run, 100 days to be exact, per Screen Daily. That means it could hit Peacock in late October 2023.
What is 'Oppenheimer' film about?
An "epic thriller that thrusts audiences into the pulse-pounding paradox of the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it," per Universal Pictures, Oppenheimer is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin.
It details not only the mathematician's world-changing work in the development of the atomic bomb during World War II but also elements of his personal life, including his marriage to wife Kitty Oppenheimer (Emily Blunt) and his overlapping romance with psychiatrist Jean Tatlock (Don't Worry Darling star Florence Pugh).
A photo posted by on
Who is in the 'Oppenheimer' cast?
Get ready, because it's a doozy: the sheer scope of the Oppenheimer cast quickly became a pop-culture punchline, with many jokingly asking, "Who's not in this movie?!" Here's the full cast list:
- Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer
- Emily Blunt as Katherine "Kitty" Oppenheimer
- Matt Damon as Leslie Groves
- Robert Downey Jr. as Lewis Strauss
- Florence Pugh as Jean Tatlock
- Josh Hartnett as Ernest Lawrence
- Casey Affleck as Boris Pash
- Rami Malek as David Hill
- Kenneth Branagh as Niels Bohr
- Benny Safdie as Edward Teller
- Dylan Arnold as Frank Oppenheimer
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Hans Bethe
- David Krumholtz as Isidor Isaac Rabi
- Matthew Modine as Vannevar Bush
- David Dastmalchian as William L. Borden
- Tom Conti as Albert Einstein
- Michael Angarano as Robert Serber
- Jack Quaid as Richard Feynman
- Josh Peck as Kenneth Bainbridge
- Olivia Thirlby as Lilli Hornig
- Dane DeHaan as Kenneth Nichols
- Danny Deferrari as Enrico Fermi
- Alden Ehrenreich as a Senate aide
- Jefferson Hall as Haakon Chevalier
- Jason Clarke as Roger Robb
- James D'Arcy as Patrick Blackett
- Tony Goldwyn as Gordon Gray
- Devon Bostick as Seth Neddermeyer
- Alex Wolff as Luis Walter Alvarez
- Scott Grimes as Counsel
- Josh Zuckerman as Giovanni Rossi Lomanitz
- Matthias Schweighöfer as Werner Heisenberg
- Christopher Denham as Klaus Fuchs
- David Rysdahl as Donald Hornig
- Guy Burnet as George Eltenton
- Louise Lombard as Ruth Tolman
- Harrison Gilbertson as Philip Morrison
- Emma Dumont as Jackie Oppenheimer
- Trond Fausa Aurvåg as George Kistiakowsky
- Olli Haaskivi as Edward Condon
- Gary Oldman as Harry S. Truman
- John Gowans as Ward Evans
- Kurt Koehler as Thomas A. Morgan
- Macon Blair as Lloyd Garrison
- Harry Groener as Gale W. McGee
- Jack Cutmore-Scott as Lyall Johnson
- James Remar as Henry Stimson
- Gregory Jbara as Warren Magnuson
- Tim DeKay as John Pastore
- James Urbaniak as Kurt Gödel
A photo posted by on
Watch the 'Oppenheimer' trailer:
'Oppenheimer' runtime: how long is it?
As is Nolan's tradition—fellow lengthy titles from the British-American director include the 169-minute Interstellar, the 164-minute The Dark Knight Rises and the 150-minute Tenet—Oppenheimer clocks in at a cool three hours including credits, the filmmaker's longest movie yet.
What is 'Oppenheimer's age rating?
Due to some sexuality, nudity, and language, Oppenheimer is rated R.
Christina Izzo is the Deputy Editor of My Imperfect Life.
More generally, she is a writer-editor covering food and drink, travel, lifestyle and culture in New York City. She was previously the Features Editor at Rachael Ray In Season and Reveal, as well as the Food & Drink Editor and chief restaurant critic at Time Out New York.
When she’s not doing all that, she can probably be found eating cheese somewhere.
I am blush *obsessed* and this easy multi-use pick always gets me compliments
As a self-proclaimed blush connoisseur, I swear by ILIA's cheek and lip stick and hopefully, when my work is done, you will too.
By Naomi Jamieson Published
Emma Chamberlain just debuted the ultimate sexy chic updo—and the wispy look is perfect for fall
If you've been looking for a new, signature hair look for fall, Emma Chamberlain may have just come *through* for you...
By Naomi Jamieson Published