Sometimes, your favorite series is better the second time around...or third...or 15th. Now wellness experts have compiled the ultimate nostalgia TV list, and it's proof that our go-to characters are like a warm hug—even if they're werewolves.
Sure Friends might've turned off for good in 2004, but we'll always need a Central Perk catch-up. Likewise, we'll never deny ourselves a get-together with Lorelai and Rory in Stars Hallow. And did you think for a second we'd part ways with the 2000's nostalgia Serena and Blair have given us? Not happening.
The science behind our obsession with nostalgia explains what keeps us coming back for more, and it's just what we need after two years of uncertainty. Wellness and relaxation specialists at CFAH.org (opens in new tab) did some social media sleuthing to uncover which shows we’re most attached to, and we predict there will be a Netflix marathon in your future—and then some.
“Nostalgia creates a sense of familiarity, and a place for you to temporarily escape,” the professionals note. “Watching the same show multiple times creates peace and order when you are feeling most chaotic, creating a sense of safety and comfort.”
So get some popcorn at the ready and enjoy the show, despite the fact you already know each episode word for word.
- The best Netflix 80s movies for the ultimate nostalgia marathon
- Need a good cry? These sad movies will make you reach for the tissues
- How to make an outdoor movie theater for the ultimate home viewing experience
The Ultimate Nostalgia TV List
By taking a look at hashtags and their popularity on various social media platforms, CFAH.org uncovered what is most beloved according to TikTok and Instagram. Have a look at the findings and see where your favorite throwbacks stack up! (Hint: now is the time to channel your favorite 2000s fashion trends.)
Even better? We'll tell you which streaming platform to select for each show. You can sign up for several of the best streaming services below.
TikTok's top 10 most popular TV shows
1. The Vampire Diaries at 16.8 billion hashtags (Netflix)
2. Teen Wolf at 15.5 billion hashtags (Netflix)
3. Gossip Girl at 4.8 billion hashtags (HBO Max)
4. Glee at 3.8 billion hashtags (Netflix)
5. Gilmore Girls at 2.1 billion hashtags (Netflix)
6. Pretty Little Liars at 1.9 billion hashtags (Netflix)
7. Friends at 1.6 billion hashtags (HBO Max)
8. One Tree Hill at 913.6 million hashtags (Hulu)
9. How I Met Your Mother at 584.8 million hashtags (Netflix)
10. Desperate Housewives at 500.9 million hashtags (Disney+)
Instagram's top 10 most popular TV shows
1. Teen Wolf at 6.7 million hashtags (Netflix)
2. The Vampire Diaries at 5.2 million hashtags (Netflix)
3. Pretty Little Liars at 3.8 million hashtags (Netflix)
4. Grey's Anatomy at 3.8 million hashtags (Hulu)
5. Sister, Sister at 2.7 million hashtags (Netflix)
6. Glee at 2.6 million hashtags (Netflix)
7. Gossip Girl at 2.4 million hashtags (HBO Max)
8. Friends at 1.1 million hashtags (HBO Max)
9. Sex and the City at 1.1 million hashtags (HBO Max)
10. How I Met Your Mother at 612,000 hashtags (Netflix)
Where will you start on your nostalgic TV binge? We're going to rewatch Sex and the City until And Just Like That premieres later this month!
Danielle is a writer for woman&home and My Imperfect Life, covering all-things news, lifestyle and entertainment.
The heart of her time at Future has been devoted to My Imperfect Life, where she's been attuned to the cosmos and honed in on astrology coverage within the Life vertical. She's partial to writing pieces about the next big TV obsession—anyone else impatiently waiting for "Conversations with Friends"—and keeping you up to date on new trends like the latest must-have from Zara.
Before her time at Future, Danielle was the editor of Time Out New York Kids and a news editor at Elite Daily. Her work has also appeared in Domino, Chowhound, amNewYork and Newsday, among other outlets.
When Danielle is not working, you can usually find her reading a new book, coffee at hand, or attempting a new recipe. (Recommendations always welcome!)
'Why, a decade on from heartbreak, I returned to the City of Love alone'
Solo Travel Week 'Sitting there on the river Arno, I realised: I am my own plan A.'
By Francesca Specter • Published
How to fall back asleep if you wake up in the middle of the night
Awake at 3am? Here’s how to fall back asleep without scrolling on your phone, according to the experts
By Lauren Clark • Published