Sometimes, your favorite series is better the second time around...or third...or 15th. Now wellness experts have compiled the ultimate nostalgia TV list, and it's proof that our go-to characters are like a warm hug—even if they're werewolves.
Sure, Friends might've turned off for good in 2004, but we'll always need a Central Perk catch-up. Likewise, we'll never deny ourselves a get-together with Lorelai and Rory in Stars Hallow. And did you think for a second we'd part ways with the 2000's nostalgia that Serena and Blair have given us? Not happening.
The science behind why we feel nostalgia explains what keeps us coming back for more, and it's just what we need after two years of uncertainty. The wellness and relaxation specialists over at CFAH.org did some social-media sleuthing to uncover which shows we’re most attached to, and we predict there will be a Netflix marathon in your future—and then some.
“Nostalgia creates a sense of familiarity, and a place for you to temporarily escape,” the professionals note. “Watching the same show multiple times creates peace and order when you are feeling most chaotic, creating a sense of safety and comfort.”
So get some popcorn at the ready and enjoy the show, despite the fact you already know each episode word for word.
Nostalgia TV: social media's most-loved throwback shows
By taking a look at hashtags and their popularity on various social media platforms, CFAH.org uncovered what series are most beloved according to TikTok and Instagram. Have a look at the findings and see where your favorite throwbacks stack up! (Hint: now is the time to channel your favorite 2000s fashion trends.)
Even better? We'll tell you which streaming platform to select for each show. You can sign up for several of the best streaming services below.
TikTok's top 10 most popular TV shows
1. The Vampire Diaries at 16.8 billion hashtags (Netflix)
2. Teen Wolf at 15.5 billion hashtags (Netflix)
3. Gossip Girl at 4.8 billion hashtags (HBO Max)
4. Glee at 3.8 billion hashtags (Netflix)
5. Gilmore Girls at 2.1 billion hashtags (Netflix)
6. Pretty Little Liars at 1.9 billion hashtags (Netflix)
7. Friends at 1.6 billion hashtags (HBO Max)
8. One Tree Hill at 913.6 million hashtags (Hulu)
9. How I Met Your Mother at 584.8 million hashtags (Netflix)
10. Desperate Housewives at 500.9 million hashtags (Disney+)
Instagram's top 10 most popular TV shows
1. Teen Wolf at 6.7 million hashtags (Netflix)
2. The Vampire Diaries at 5.2 million hashtags (Netflix)
3. Pretty Little Liars at 3.8 million hashtags (Netflix)
4. Grey's Anatomy at 3.8 million hashtags (Hulu)
5. Sister, Sister at 2.7 million hashtags (Netflix)
6. Glee at 2.6 million hashtags (Netflix)
7. Gossip Girl at 2.4 million hashtags (HBO Max)
8. Friends at 1.1 million hashtags (HBO Max)
9. Sex and the City at 1.1 million hashtags (HBO Max)
10. How I Met Your Mother at 612,000 hashtags (Netflix)
Where will you start on your nostalgic TV binge? We're just going to rewatch all of Sex and the City until And Just Like That season 2 premieres, cool?
Need a TV show recommendation? Maybe a few decor tips? Danielle, a digital news writer at Future, has you covered. Her work appears throughout the company’s lifestyle brands, including My Imperfect Life, Real Homes, and woman&home. Mainly, her time is spent at My Imperfect Life, where she’s attuned to the latest entertainment trends and dating advice for Gen Z.
Before her time at Future, Danielle was the editor of Time Out New York Kids, where she got to experience the best of the city from the point of view of its littlest residents. Before that, she was a news editor at Elite Daily. Her work has also appeared in Domino, Chowhound, and amNewYork, to name a few.
When Danielle’s not writing, you can find her testing out a new recipe, reading a book (suggestions always welcome), or rearranging the furniture in her apartment…again.
I am blush *obsessed* and this easy multi-use pick always gets me compliments
As a self-proclaimed blush connoisseur, I swear by ILIA's cheek and lip stick and hopefully, when my work is done, you will too.
By Naomi Jamieson Published
Emma Chamberlain just debuted the ultimate sexy chic updo—and the wispy look is perfect for fall
If you've been looking for a new, signature hair look for fall, Emma Chamberlain may have just come *through* for you...
By Naomi Jamieson Published