There's a lot of doom and gloom in the series, but the Yellowjackets theme song and nostalgia-inducing soundtrack are true bright spots in all the darkness.
The freshman Showtime series, which follows a pack of soccer-playing teen girls who survive a plane crash only to get stranded in the woods for 19 months, follows two timelines: one in 1996 and one in 2021. That means that along with two stellar generations of a Yellowjackets cast, young and old, we get treated to some iconic '90s needle drops interspersed with more present-day playlist selects.
From Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" to Seal's "Kiss from a Rose"—which the teens gleefully sing in the January 9 episode "Doomcoming," a fleeting moment of joy during their makeshift homecoming dance in the woods—here are all of the Yellowjackets jams you need to add to you Spotify ASAP.
- How many episodes is Yellowjackets? What to know about season one
- When is Yellowjackets season 2 coming? Everything we know so far
- Which Yellowjackets character are you based on your star sign?
Who sings the 'Yellowjackets' theme song?
The angsty main theme that kicks off every weekly episode of Yellowjackets is "No Return" from Craig Wedren (Shudder to Think) and Anna Waronker (that dog). The grungy tune is fitting for a show largely set in the 1990s, and might just be our favorite TV theme song since Succession's opening groove.
'Yellowjackets' soundtrack: tunes from every ep
Episode 1, "Pilot":
- "Today" - The Smashing Pumpkins
- "Supernova" - Liv Phair
- "Informer" - Snow
- "Shoop" - Salt-N-Pepa
- "Good Vibrations" - Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
- "What If…" - Dore Soul
- "Let Me Find Out" - POS NEG
- "Miss World" - Hole
- "Counting Backwards" - Throwing Muses
- "Down By The Water" - PJ Harvey
- "Never Tear Us Apart" - Paloma Faith
Episode 2, "F Sharp":
- "Mother Mother" - Tracy Bonham
- "Hold On" - Wilson Phillips
- "Cherished Nostalgia" - Devin S. Norris
- "Medusa" - Noonday Devils
- "Confetti" - Bien
- "Kick It" - Peaches
- "Glory Box" - Portishead
Episode 3, "The Dollhouse":
- "Mr. Mistoffelees" - Cats Original Broadway Cast
- "Cambodia" - Kim Wilde
- "Dreams" - The Cranberries
- "Grandma’s Hands" - Bill Withers
- "Vienna" - Ultravox
Episode 4, "Bear Down":
- "Mountain Song" - Jane’s Addiction
- "Breakfast At Tiffany’s" - Deep Blue Something
- "Feel the Pain" - Dinosaur Jr.
- "Maid in China" - The Father Figures
- "So Alive" - Love and Rockets
- "Ready to Go" - Republica
Episode 5, "Blood Hive":
- "This Is How We Do It" - Montell Jordan, Wino
- "Emergency" - Sofi Tukker, Novak, YAX.X
- "Freak Out" - Nightlapse, Bambie
Episode 6, "Saints":
- "Munich" - Editors
- "Love Comes Close" - Cold Cave
- "Overture" - Phantom Of The Opera Original London Cast
Episode 7, "No Compass":
- "S P A C E" - Amber Mark
- "The Music Of The Night" - Phantom Of The Opera Original London Cast
- "Firestarter" - The Prodigy
Episode 8, "Flight of the Bumblebee":
- "Fade Into You" - Mazzy Star
Episode 9, "Doomcoming":
- "The World I Know" - Collective Soul
- "Gepetto" - Belly
- "Kiss From A Rose" - Seal
The official Yellowjackets soundtrack will be released by Lakeshore Records on January 21. And the final episode of Yellowjackets season one will air at 10pm on Sunday, January 16 on Showtime and will be streamable on Hulu.
Christina Izzo is the Deputy Editor of My Imperfect Life.
More generally, she is a writer-editor covering food and drink, travel, lifestyle and culture in New York City. She was previously the Features Editor at Rachael Ray In Season and Reveal, as well as the Food & Drink Editor and chief restaurant critic at Time Out New York.
When she’s not doing all that, she can probably be found eating cheese somewhere.
Emily Ratajkowski's haircut stole the spotlight at the Marc Jacobs show—here are tips for copying the look
Bobs are back, baby! We spoke to the pros about styling a 'do à la that new Emily Ratajkowski haircut
By Danielle Valente • Published
Is Love in season 4 of 'You' or is Joe Goldberg's wife gone for good?
Joe is soon returning to our screens...but what about his wife? Is Love in season 4 of 'You'? Here's what we know
By Danielle Valente • Published