TikTok may have been our lockdown savior, but another social media platform that has blown up this year is OnlyFans. Created in 2016, the original purpose of the site was to get users to pay for content from influencers and celebrities. But since then, it has become a famous hub for adult entertainment, where sex workers and adults can sell photos and videos to their subscribers.
With the pandemic hitting the nightlife and events industry hard, many celebrities
- including models, musicians and reality TV stars - have joined OnlyFans over the past few months to make up for all the lost cash from cancelled tour dates and club appearances, and it's turning out to be very lucrative.
In fact, some of our favourite stars are making millions on the site, from Cardi B who is earning a reported £7.1 million per month (which might explain that crazy Las Vegas birthday party) to UK Love Island star Megan Barton-Hanson, who reportedly makes a monthly salary of £807, 559. The most successful of all however, is reality TV star and Rob Kardashian's ex Blac Chyna, who racks in an impressive £15 million per month on OnlyFans, according to SlotsUp.
So, how exactly does it all work? (asking for a friend...)
How does OnlyFans work?
Users charge their followers a monthly subscription fee to see their photos and videos. Each user can set their own subscription fee but OnlyFans take a commission of around 20% from each one.
Before users get started, OnlyFans has its own clever calculator that can work out how much celebrities and influencers could be earning based on their social media following. The more followers you have on Instagram and Twitter, the more money you can make on OnlyFans.
While adult content seems to be really popular on the site, some stars (like Cardi B) are making millions without posting nudes. In fact, some could even use it to tease new music or other exclusive footage because ultimately, no one can see your content until they have already paid for a subscription.
But how much is everyone making?
Celebs on OnlyFans: The top 10 earners
1. Blac Chyna - £15,418,259 per month
2. Bella Throne - £9,013,128 per month
3. Cardi B - £7,158,487 per month
4. Tyga - £5,896,939 per month
5. Mia Khalifa - £4,920,033 per month
6. Erica Mena - £3,442,505 per month
7. Pia Mia - £1,701,040 per month
8. Safaree Samuels - £1,466,154 per month
9. Megan Barton-Hanson - £807,559 per month
10. Casanova - £805,950 per month
It's safe to say none of them will be short on cash any time soon. Good for them!